The day in which cheap chocolate and red rose sales skyrocket is once again upon us and whether you support or resent Valentine’s day, one thing is certain: you cannot escape it. That doesn’t mean that you can’t make the most of it, however. Love birds, single and loving it or bitter and convinced it’s a holiday created from corporate greed; wherever your loyalties lie on Feb. 14, music offers a solution. Below, you’ll find an assortment of songs ranging from the adorable to the angry so turn it up and make it loud. Isn’t music our one true love anyway?
Choose Your Own Adventure
- Lights- Toes
- Andrew Belle- Oh My Stars
- Ben Lee- Love Me Like the World Is Ending
- Steve Moakler- Hesitate
- Death Cab for Cutie- I Will Follow You Into the Dark
- Matt Hires- Honey, Let Me Sing You a Song (Acoustic)
- Joe Brooks- Superman
- Iron & Wine- Fever Dream
- The Weepies- Gotta Have You
- Dan Erickson- Stay With Me
- Tyrone Wells- Running Around in My Dreams
- Brett Dennen- Ain’t Gonna Lose You
- 3OH!3- I’m Not Your Boyfriend Baby
- A Day To Remember- Heartless
- Alesana- Congradulations, I Hate You
- Destroy Rebuild Until God Shows- If You Think This Song Is About You, it Probably Is*
- Bon Jovi- You Give Love a Bad Name
- Jon Troast- A Break-Up Song
- Kate Nash- Dickhead*
- The Narrative- Cherry Red
- Selena Gomez & the Scene- Sick of You
- Mayday Parade- If You Wanted a Song Written About You, All You Had to Do was Ask
- blessthefall- Witness
- The Word Alive- Battle Royale
My Heart Will Go On
Much like the Energizer Bunny, the use of “love” in lyrics will just keep going and going and going. Love is a common theme in music- finding it, losing it, yearning for it- and, just to prove a point, the following graphic presents a handful of songs, pulled at random, sporting the four letter word in their titles.
Remember, Valentine’s Day, beneath all the novelties and gifts, is about celebrating who and what you love. Embrace the one day a year where you are encouraged to display your passions. Love chocolate? Eat with a reckless abandonment rivaled by competitive eaters. Love music? Turn it up, sing along and M.O.S.H. We’re all taken by something, and as long as you do what you love and love what you do, you’ll never be truly single.
And, if all else fails, all candy and chocolate is 50% off Feb. 15; perhaps the greatest of all the silver linings.
*denotes songs which contain explicit content